Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Underwear and Unmentionables

Our little, local museum, The Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum, hosted an open house on the weekend, featuring lingerie of the past: Underwear and Unmenitonables. I didn't take my camera, but I did take my phone, and I think that was enough.

There was lingerie to be seen all over, including these displays which, in keeping with the era, I decided to process in mono with a bit of a vintage effect.




This manikin with the labelling intrigued me. If I recall, it was showing a bustle at the back, but I was focusing  on the lettering.



I think my most delightful sighting of the day was seeing this juxtaposition of a modern iPhone against an old calculator/register of sorts. Of course, the phone wasn't part of the display; someone had just left it there.



At the end we were rewarded with treats — cookies shaped and decorated in keeping with the theme.


7 comments:

Debbie said...

oh such a cute title for the exhibit!! and those cookies, yay, someone did a GREAT job on those!!!

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful pictures! And what a great idea for an exhibition!

Mage said...

What a great show. I remember wearing the 1950's version of those things. Love the cookies.

Marie Smith said...

A fun display! And cookies to boot.

Kay said...

A friend of mine was a curator or something for the Metropolitan Museum of Art and I remember a big exhibit he had of underwear through the centuries. This is so much fun!

Mara said...

It always reminds me of that one character in Ocean's Eleven (the new one) who has a girlfriend who works at the Unmentionable counter.

Those cookies... Yum

Jenn Jilks said...

You're on an underwear roll!