Friday, December 12, 2014

Blurring the Background in Post

Note re. Captcha:  I read something about this a few days ago. It's a new variation, and I think the idea is that as long as you're within the Google system and trusted as it were, you won't have to use it, even if you see it. I wish I had paid more attention at the time, but I don't feel like going back to research it. :)

...................

While on the subject of DOF (Depth of Filed) and blurry backgrounds, I pause to mention that if all else fails, you can sometimes accomplish the effect in post (post processing). Sometimes, you are just shooting quick snapshots but see something that you like and wish to enhance it a bit. Such is the case with this shot from Danica's birthday party last April. The background is a little too in-focus for my taste.


In Photoshop, I used the field blur option from the blur gallery. I set a blurry point on both the left and right edges. That blurred the whole photo, so to counteract that, I set a number of non-blur points around the subjects. I also used the mask created by the filter to darken the background a little.

This is the result.


Once again, just because I have it for another project, here is a mono version of the same photo.


10 comments:

Linda Kay said...

Such sweet faces.

ADRIAN said...

I have never used that filter. I'll give it a try. I usually just duplicate the image blur the top one then add a mask and paint detail back in.

TexWisGirl said...

nicely done.

blogspot users can ignore word ver prompts, but wordpress or open i.d. folks have to struggle with them.

i had read google was switching their captcha to a single click-box to prove you're not a spammer, but in the meantime they've royally messed things up.

Mage said...

I didn't know there was such a thing. Love it and have to try it. Wow. Yes,

Tabor said...

I have only PSE and I think that featured in not in this lighter version of Photoshop. Lovely portrait showing lots of love.

Pearl said...

I've generally just used the blur brush on points myself.

Jackie said...

Love your Photoshop work....'cause I love your photos!
Sending you great big smiles from South Jawja.....
Hugs,
Jackie

Hilary said...

You're full of fun Photoshop info, AC.

Do you ever feel as if you're (grand)parenting this granddaughter of yours a second time? She's the spitting image of her mother. And quite similar to Sue. .. particularly the smile. Lovely ladies in your life.

EG CameraGirl said...

Nicely done, AC!

fastappsapk said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
blurry imag