Thursday, February 04, 2010

My Two Cent Review

Guess what we did yesterday.



Give up?

How about ...



In our last week of freedom before we start babysitting full time again next week, we took a few hours off to visit the planet of Pandora and its Na'vi inhabitants. Since everyone and Oprah are talking about Avatar, we had to see for ourselves. Thinking that we might as well go all out, we drove far past the nearest theatre that was showing the movie in 3D and all the way to East Ottawa to see it on the large Imax screen.

Frankly, misgivings about the plot aside, it was so worth it. The visuals are stunning; at least in Imax 3D form they are. In my almost worthless estimation, it's a seminal movie that has forever moved the bar and advanced the goalposts and .... well just go ahead and insert your own favourite cliche because at 2:30 AM, I'm running on empty.

What I think: go see Avatar in 3D on the largest screen that you can find, and sit back and enjoy the incredible visuals without letting the thinness of the plot get in the way of the WOW factor.

That's my opinion, which has got to be worth something if I can recommend the film after having to drive home at night in a blinding snowstorm. Okay, it wasn't blinding all the way, but when the snow did abate it didn't matter because by then the road had disappeared, and it was all just a teensy weensy bit nerve wracking.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are off to the cinema tonight, all four of us so it's going to be hard to find something for us all! My hubby said he would see anything but Avatar and so I thought The Book of Ely but my co-worker friend Chezza, went last night and she gave a very bad review. I think she said it was a total boys film with boring bits and a hand gets chopped off....
It looks as though it may be Alvin and the Chipmunks.... :o)

daffy
(being lazy and not signing into wordpress)

Barry said...

Linda and I saw Avatar with my brother and his wife and I would agree wholeheartedly with your review.

The plot was thin and predicable but the movie itself was incredible.

Diana said...

perhaps if you wore the 3D glasses on the drive home! My husband wanted to see this movie so bad until he found out it was in 3D. It gives him migraines poor dear!
Love Di

Anonymous said...

We almost went last night too, but hubby was too tired.

I was reluctant to see it (not really my favourite genre, plus it seems over-hyped and that often results in disappointment for me), but so many people I respect are recommending it that I'm going to have to get to a theatre so I don't miss the 3D experience. It's not showing at our IMAX though (or I could just play hooky from work, since it's right across the atrium from my office).

Mara said...

Glad you made it home safely!

I've not yet seen this film and knowing me, it's not going to happen either. And since the nearest IMAX theater is on the other side of the country (two hours drive is a lot over here)...

Anonymous said...

I really like and admire James Cameron and Titanic, but had decided I did not much care if I saw this particular movie or not. However, Larry King did such a great job on his program with James C and all the cast and techies that now I can't wait to see it. That was, in my opinion, the best show Larry King has ever done. It was totally different for Larry King.
QMM

Kathy Trejo said...

We Loved it...fun watching in 3D. Looking Forward to the Avatar 2 :)

Ruth said...

I found it to be long, but that was also because we had to get our seats an hour before it started. The visual effects are very good and need to be seen on a big screen. But I will not be buying the DVD. Seeing it once was enough.

Bernie said...

My friend and I loved this movie, it was great......:-) Hugs

Lorna said...

Dave and I saw it at SilverCity also---we couldn't get in the first time we went, so we bought our tickets online. We were both very impressed, for the same reasons you were. we did insert our own clichés, for quite a few days after seeing it. You needn't ever head back if the weather is bad---a quick phone call and we'd have brewed hot chocolate and turned our couches into pretty passable luxury-beds. One of you would have had to cook breakfast, as Dave is working, but I know where the coffee is.

Anonymous said...

My brother has seen it in IMAX 3D three times now! He says it's the only way to see it!

I can't wait. Maybe this weekend. Not really interested in the plot/story, but the movie itself.