Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Really Shoulda Listened

I must confess to being a little dismayed with myself and my body tonight, and not in a good way.

You see, the kids have a treadmill, a decent treadmill that hasn't been put to much use in the past few years — which oddly enough is exactly how long they've had its. Seeing as both it and I are there every day, and it's winter, which sometimes renders outdoor walking problematic, I have decided to put the confounded contraption to use.

So I decided to have a little cautionary talk with myself first.

Anvilcloud to AC: Start easy, AC; you've been pretty doggone sedentary for the past few months.

AC to Anvilcloud: I understand. I'm just going to walk, and I won't go too fast and I won't go too long. But I will use that handy dandy incline feature.

Anvilcloud to AC: And just why would you do that?

AC to Anvilcloud: Say what?

Anvilcloud to AC: Use the incline feature, dummy!?

AC to Anvilcloud: Because Dr Oz and that skinny fitness guru on Oprah say that it's a real good thing to do.

Anvilcloud to AC: You've been lyin low more than two months, AC, and you're 62. Just be realistic, man. That's all I'm sayin.

AC to Anvilcloud: Yeah, sure. I get it. You don't have to draw me a picture. I'm not like y'know stoopid or sumthin.

Anvilcloud to AC: Uh huh. So, you'll start really slow, say ten minutes and very little if any incline?

AC to Anvilcloud: I'll be careful, but I'm going to do 15 minutes, and we'll see about the speed and the incline.

Anvilcloud to AC: Hoo Boy. You just don't get it do you?


Really folks. I have been careful. I mean to say fifteen minutes isn't very long, and I really didn't go all that fast, and I didn't use a real steep incline, afterall. However, would you believe that after just two days my legs feel like rubber?

Sometimes, 62 seems young. Tonight? Not so much.

They say you're as old as you feel. At this moment, I don't exactly feel like a spring chicken (although I have no idea what a spring chicken is or how it feels).

I shoulda listened to myself. Really.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is how I do exercise. Too much or not enough. Keep on giving it that ole try though.
QMM

Bernie said...

Yup...ya shudda listen to yorsef.
.....hope you feel better tomorrow, try some stretches before you get on the tread mill.
.......:-) Hugs

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Thanks for the warning! I will keep the remote control handy so I do not have to get up to change chanel.

Ruth said...

The rubber will turn to iron...keep it up! (I don't always practice what I preach)

Diana said...

On a good note, you made me very happy to know that I am not the only one to have conversations with myself! Slow and steady wins the race. I think this may apply here as well! Love Di

Pearl said...

Know what you mean. I decided to walk down 12 flights of stairs. down, not up. not too wild and crazy, eh? apparently my sedentary ways are that advanced too. at least you bounce back from rubbery legs eventually.