Sunday, May 31, 2009

Difficult Partings

We have great trouble leaving Nikki Dee these days because goodbye's upset her so much. It's hard to know what to do; often, we'll try to sneak out to prevent her from having a meltdown, but we don't want to lose her trust either. Yet, if we do leave with normal goodbyes she'll wail pitifully and want desperately to come with us. She'll find her shoes and bring them to us with so much hope in her heart. This sometimes works as it's really really tough to let this darling kid down.

Yesterday, she somehow picked up the cue that we would be going in a little while because she was getting her shoes and jabbering about the car well before we had made any sort of tangible move. I'm not sure exactly what the cue was, but she's a very clever little girl to have figured it out.

Mom and Amma got her out to the car before me, and this is the sight that greeted me when I arrived to take my place behind the wheel. There she was sitting in the driver's seat wearing Buppa's jaunty cap and sunglasses.





Oddly enough, even though she clearly wanted to come with us, she still had some mournful farewells for her parents. As we were driving up the street, there was a repeated, "Bye Daddy, bye mommy." Soon, however, Cuppa started up her Raffi CD, and Nikki Dee smiled happily and got into her Raffi groove. Let's hear it for Baby Beluga in the Deep Blue Sea.

I don't know how we're all going to be able to deal with partings in the future because I don't expect that it's going to get any easier.

However, I do trust that she will leave the driving to me for about another fourteen years.

12 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

No wonder you have a hard time saying no. Who could say no to her? Too darned cute.

Donna said...

What a little Heartbreaker!!! I would have to get out of the house before she saw Me crying!! I can't stand to hear them cry...lolol...Geez...You're good!hughugs

Judy said...

Was it Elizabeth Barrett Browning who penned about 'parting is such sweet sorrow'?

I have both grandkids sleeping over here tonight to give my daughter a chance to rest before number three pops out.

Our grandson has a nasty pout reserved for whomever comes to the door and has the nerve NOT to be either his grandpa or great-grandpa.

I do find being a grandparent to be WAAAAY more fun and WAAAY more emotional than being a parent ever was. I cannot say why though, it just is.

KGMom said...

It's an age thing. . .not your age, but Nikki Dee's. The more self-awareness she has, the harder it is for her to let go.

Mary said...

AC,

Separation anxiety appears at about this age and can continue for a couple of years. The best thing to do, I've found, is to say a firm goodbye and I'll see you later and leave immediately. Of course she is torn between wanting to be with you and Cuppa and her parents. You're all very special to her.

Hope you had a good weekend and kept partially dry.

Blessings,
Mary

Mara said...

She is so cute! It must be so hard to leave her behind. Hope it gets easier soon.

MARY G said...

The second photo is a real winner. And, yeah, it's hard. Luckily our grandkid likes coming to stay with us and doesn't fuss much about leaving the parents.

Lorna said...

Oh come on---I bet you sneaked out with her and dressed her up in cap and goggles so you could take her home.

Barry said...

Parting can be heartbreaking at that age.

Especially when she is as heartbreakngly cute as she is!

Jinksy said...

A similar situation caused a lot of agro in our family - the love between my Mum and my brother's little girl, caused her young Mama to became very jealous. I'm pleased to say my own children never had, or caused problems. If they showed signs of not wanting to let people leave, I simply distracted their attention with something upbeat as soon as tears threatened. Couldn't let them dictate comings and goings...

Garnetrose said...

She is so sweet. I can imagine how hard it is to say goodbye to her. What a little doll.

Janet said...

She's quite fetching in her cap and sunglasses. It will get better.