Friday, June 13, 2008

Foto Friday

This week, just for a change, Foto Friday features The Bonnie Wee One aka Nikkie Dee aka aka Niks aka ND aka Smudge.

I have posted before how she loves to ride an ahem horse (where ahem is a word for a male part). However, we don't sing ahem; we sing the real word. Various concerned parental and auntie units have implored us to find and employ an alternatives such as big horse, but the ahem word seems to be stuck in our old heads. Anyway, she'll no doubt tire of the ride and won't remember that word as she grows. But in the meantime, that's what I sing to her, and as you can see in the first two photos, she quite enjoys the ride and sure doesn't seem to mind the lyrics.




Can a female legitimately do Ride A(n) Ahem Horse? Regardless, Gramma also does the song with the kid, and she loves it. Whenever Gramma starts it, Niks always looks around at me because she wants all to share in her most excellent adventure.



Then, there's the shadow scenario that I mentioned just recently. As you can see this shadow is still sticking close. Sometimes, it's mighty difficult to eat my breakfast in peace.

And when I try to read a few lines, my shadow seems to be alerted.


My shadow even helps me vacuum. I'm sure you can imagine just how helpful she is.



Then, she insists on being rewarded for being such a diligent shadow, and I am forced against my will to take her to the park. See her laughing at me in my helpless plight? There are some who believe that she has me wrapped around her little finger, but, of course, it's not at all so. Not at all.

13 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

I don't know the particulars as to why your shadow is with you but I'm thinking that it is such a treat for you. I hope you get to keep your shadow forever (bad of me?) and she you.

KGMom said...

AC--did I not note before the origin of the term "cock horse"?
Sorry to set the record straight but it has NOTHING to do with male references.
Herewith from Wikipedia: 'A "Cock Horse" is an old carriage-driving term, referring to an extra harness horse employed to assist pulling a cart or carriage up a hill. The "Cock Horse" would be hitched up at the bottom of the hill and then unhitched at the top. It would then be ridden back down to the bottom of the hill to await its next customer. Banbury is situated at the bottom of a moderately steep hill and the town's council made a "cock horse" available to help access to the town.'
Does that take all the fun away? I think people today are overly PC where language is concerned.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to met a kid who does not love to ride a "ahem" horse. And as for your little shadow.. could she be any cuter... I think not. :-)

Pearl said...

glad KG mom clarified. I don't know the song so was cycling thru all the possible words.

Donna said...

LOLHahahaha.....wrapped....Completely, wrapped....LOL...happy day sweetie!!hughugs

Amanda said...

You are well and truly wrapped around her finger! He-He! Who couldn't be though, she is very cute.

Anonymous said...

You just know I'm singing it or saying it now don't you! :o)
The pics are lovely and she is adorable! (Both of the 'she's' :o)

Janet said...

That breakfast setup looks quite familiar. You should get used to it, because at 2 1/2 I eat all meals around DeBoy. He wears a good deal of food, and not from his own spoon.
She is SOOOO cute. I never get tired of seeing her pictures.

Ginnie said...

AC, you have great patience and fortitude to put up with all that your shadow puts you through...I can tell that it's a great strain on you...(Ha,ha)

Lorna said...

lovely photos to see on father's Day.

megz_mum said...

I love that animated enthusiastic face on Grandad in the "horse" photos!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your attempt to be "polite" in front of your grand daughter. Reminded me of the discomfort of describing by son's college sculling crew. He sculled in a crew of four without a coxswain. They were know as "four men without cox".Or if you prefer, "for men without 'ahem'."

My 10 year old grandson's eyes went wide open when I referred to my son's crew. I guess his Dad never used the phrase.

Sue said...

Well! I had that nursery rhyme sung to me as a child, riding on a parent's knee, and I sang it to my children and did the same, and heard it at playgroup, and on children's tapes (we didn't have CDs when mine were small)... and never ONCE did it occur to me that it might be anything to do with 'ahem'.

Until I was an adult I don't think I knew the word itself was anything other than the father of a chicken, but even so, I never thought to try and make sense of it in the Banbury Cross sense, as so many nursery rhymes contain nonsense words.

However, now I've been enlightened, I shall never think of it without remembering this post!