Friday, June 23, 2006

A Find

By golly, we're having a windy week. So far, we've only been out on the bike once: twice if you count doing a few errands around town. However, the one time the weather did provide the for a real ride, we managed to churn as far as Almonte and that did get us to the magical 20mi/30km threshold that I mentioned last week. But for this morning, at least, we rest and accomplish other things: for example, cutting the grass and writing a blog — a little blog but a blog nonetheless.


The other day, we received an email from a friend whose daughter is getting married in a few weeks. She'd been to all of the Ottawa Wal-Marts to buy flowers for the church. Since we live outside of the city, she asked if there one near us that we could check. Well, it's not terribly near, about a half hour away in Smiths Falls, but what the heck — you do go out of your way to help friends, don't you? Besides, that was yet another windy day: not good for riding.


I threw the camera and tripod in the car because I'd heard there were ospreys nesting by a certain bridge near the river. I don't know the town very very and didn't know where the bridge was and wasn't necessarily planning to really, really hunt for the site, but I went prepared anyway. Lo and behold, shortly after pulling out of Wal-Mart, I chanced to glance left. Didn't I see a bridge, and didn't I see a pole with a big nesting box on top in the distance?


We found our way to the nest, and I took a few pictures. Of course, I'll include one, below. It's a little phony because I replaced the sky. It was a cloudy day, and this photo had nothing but cloud in the background, almost white, certainly not appealing. I know that this rendered sky is rather ersatz in appearance, but it still beats the original. Look at the long branch that he's carrying! Note: you might want to click the larger version of this one.


It's not a great photo, but it's my photo, and I feel good about getting the shot regardless.


9 comments:

PBS said...

I think that's a beautiful photo and the sky looks very nice! We had eagles and ospreys hunt (fish) and nest where I grew up as a child. It was right next to a world-class trout stream.

karla said...

See, if you hadn't said anything, I never would have even noticed the sky was replaced.

I've been through Smith Falls on my way to Athens or Ottawa a few times.

I think that's a good thing to live that far from a walmart. The walmart near me is literally a three minute car ride...way too accessible for junk food and frivolous spending runs.

Gina said...

I still think it's a good shot, too.

megz_mum said...

Good shot! Birds in flight are not easy to photograph.

Anonymous said...

If you had not mentioned it.. I never would have realized that it was not the original sky. Very good job and lovely photo.

Kathy Trejo said...

That's a great shot Anvilcloud! i love watching birds, we don't see birds like that in our area.

(it's me kathy from bamboo shade)

Sarah Elaine said...

Very cool photo!

oshee said...

It is a great photo. I love the stick. It must be a huge nest to easily fit sticks that big.

Heather Plett said...

Great shot! Pretty impressive fake sky! I haven't been able to anything quite that convincing yet, though the girls LOVE it when I take family pictures and mix all our heads around. :-)