Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sweet Potato Soup Recipe

Granny has requested the soup recipe that I mentioned a few blogs back: the one that I scalded myself with and the one to which I added part of my own precious flesh. I have made this a number of times, and it's always a tasty hit. I found the recipe in Crazy Plates by Janet and Greta Podleski (of Ottawa, I might add proudly). I have taken to doubling the recipe since it's so good and it doesn't require much more work.


  1. Mix the following ingredients and roast at 425°F for 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through:

    • 6 cups cubed sweet potatoes, 1.5 cups coarsely chopped onions, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 clove garlic minced

  2. Transfer to a soup pot; add the following ingredients; bring to boil and then simmer,covered for 10 minutes.

    • 5 cups low fat chicken broth, 1 tbsp each grated orange zest and gingerroot, 1 clove, 1/2 tsp each garlic and salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper

  3. Puree batches with blender or food processor.

  4. Serve with a swirl of sour cream (low fat) and garnish with fresh cilantro if desired. (I usually do the sour cream but have never used cilantro)

 

5 comments:

Granny said...

Wow, that was fast. I'll either copy it or link to it.

Thanks. I yam what I yam.

Madcap said...

I'm glad you've posted it again, because I just happen to have a huge stock pot full of chicken broth and a terrible yearning to do something other than the traditional chicken/rice/vegetable I make every week. Whoopee! And I LOVE sweet potatoes. And ginger and orange. And sour cream. What's not to love?

Lora said...

That sounds lovely. I bet a little cayenne pepper would complete it perfectly.

Turtle Guy said...

Granny needs to get out more! "I yam what I yam"???? OMG....

I'll give it a go... we've got the cold weather going on here - it'll be perfect!

mreddie said...

Sounds good to me - and I have some sweet potatoes going to waste, thanks AC. ec